terça-feira, 15 de maio de 2018

An Experience in Nature





An Experience in Nature

By Irene Manz

A few minutes away from our house there is a clear, opalescent mountain stream rushing past. A wooden footbridge leads to its opposite bank and a narrow path leads upward between the wooded hillside and the stream. It winds its way up the steep slope, across the treeless meadows, all the way into the wintry forest.
Deep down below you can still see the green mountain stream as it flows through the snowy meadows. All around venerable, glacier-like mountains seem to send their greetings in this early season.

Icy white, gilded by the sun, the highest peaks are gleaming while the dark, fir-trees slopes already lie in the shadow of the mountains.
On the path that winds upward steeply and through deep snow, flecks of sunlight flit among groups of trees. Snow bursts up and trickles back down in a glitter as branches rustle and whisper in the breath of the wind. Merely a soft breath floats through the woods and is audible only to the finest ear of one who is accustomed to listening to Nature’s great holy, silent secrets with bated breath and a grateful prayer in his soul.  Nature still lies in solemn stillness, and all life is still in the deep sleep of winter while the softly thawing snow precedes the first longing for Spring. The sun’s rays are still pale upon the thawing winter splendor. Yet here and there its warming rays softly lure and awaken timid sounds of birds. A soft chirp here and, further up, the start of the first finch’s tender song.
The solitude in this forest is so mysterious and there is a white transparent ethereal figure softly floating ahead of me.
Here, in the forest, far away from people, they look at me sometimes, Nature beings, elemental beings, and the pure luminous guides.  My sight is being opened up to their quiet work and activity. As I am looking at the ground I see a little white man next to me. He looks at me with a friendly smile, his small hand pointing at the uneven, slippery ground as if meaning to guide me.  Feeling more secure and as in a dream, I walk beside him and a conversation begins to develop.
I do not speak to the little man, he does not speak to me, in loud words. No. Only concepts seep into my consciousness and my mind forms them into words; yet I hear his voice and I hear my own responding.
“Are you always here in the forest?” I ask him – “and do you stay here?”  “We live here deep inside the earth, in trees and in bushes, in the roots of the trees. We cloak ourselves with the material in which we weave; we adapt ourselves; we weave and live and are one with our environment.”  So speaks the little man. “When the snow melts I turn grey; when I don my green frock, the sisters call for the flowers to grow!”
I see the ground as through a glass and I see life beneath the snow, seeping, gurgling, murmuring; roots are stirring, the earth is breathing and delicate luminous hands glide over the bare, frosty, grey-green meadows as if in blessing.
Blue-eyed, a timid little star pushes through the ground to look up at the deep-blue sky; low-growing white anemones unfold their white petals just above the ground and tiny little yellow flowers are climbing up and clinging to the earth mounds. The flower elves are luring the first spring flowers from the earth – over there, across the still snowy meadow, they are pulling yellow, white and violet veils. The little man points over there saying: “that’s where the crocuses will bloom.”
“Will you guide me there too?” I ask him.  “I will always guide you” I hear him reply.  “to all the flowers, and I will tell you of their qualities and their uses - then to the berries and mushrooms, provided you will always be as alert as you are today. But I must go now for we are at the border.”
They never cross this “border”; although they are active everywhere they do not show themselves. For man no longer understands them
I did not say goodbye to him, I know he will guide me again when I am ready.